Tacos de Hongo
Taco lovers, you owe it to yourself to indulge in these delicious meatless tacos! - Always Vegan, by Candid Chef
This recipe is from the "So Tasty!" recipe book on page 95.
- 30 white button mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 handful cilantro
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup dry black beans
- 2 limes
- 2 1/2 tbsp. (non-spicy) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. paprika powder
- 1 tbsp. dry minced onion spice
- 2 1/2 tbsp. natural tomato sauce
- 6 organic hard shell tacos
- Cholula hot sauce
- Soak the black beans for 24 hours in the fridge in 3 cups of water. Strain and rinse the beans. Boil them until tender in 4 cups of water. Strain and season as desired.
- Chop up the mushrooms and dice the garlic very fine.
- Saute the garlic in a bit of olive oil and add the chopped up mushrooms and let it saute on a medium flame until the mushrooms shrink and become chewy. Stir periodically. The mushrooms will shrink to half the amount in volume. Add the chili, paprika, crushed dry onions, sea salt, and 1/2 fresh lime juice and keep mixing it. Add the tomato sauce and keep mixing it occasionally. Taste test and add more tomato and/or spices if needed.
- Dice red onion, tomato, and cilantro into a separate bowl and squeeze some fresh lime juice, paprika powder and sea salt.
- Mash up the avocado and add some sea salt, garlic powder, and lime juice for a quick guacamole.
- Prepare a bed of lettuce for the drained black beans.
- Heat the taco shells of choice. Build the taco, in order: mushroom base, guacamole, tomato salad on top, Cholula sauce (optional). Serve with black beans.
- These tacos can be enjoyed with soft tortillas.
- A can of natural, low sodium black beans can be used as a side dish if strapped for time. Simply heat the beans and season as desired.