The true guilt-free and creamy “Velvety Macaroni" that brings a whole new meaning to this traditional dish. - Always Vegan, by Candid Chef
This recipe is from the "So Tasty!" recipe book on page 64.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 medium broccoli heads
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- dry parsley
- sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups dry brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Bake the butternut squash whole and unpeeled in the oven on 350F for exactly 30 minutes. Over-baking may cause problems with the preparation later.
- Separate the broccoli into small florets and cut the broccoli stems into small pieces.
- Boil the pasta as instructed on the package while being careful not to overcook it.
- The squash should be ready by now and will peel easily with a peeler after baking.
- Cut the peeled squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut the squash into smaller pieces and steam it covered with the 4 peeled garlic cloves for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot add the broccoli stem pieces with a bit of water and steam it covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add the florets and continue steaming for 3-4 minutes. Drain the water from the broccoli. Cover the pot and set it aside.
- Drain the water from the butternut squash and remove it from the flame. Add the plant-based milk of choice, nutritional yeast, sea salt and garlic powder to the pot and blend it well with an immersion blender until it is smooth and creamy. Once smooth, add the dry parsley and pepper. Mix well with a mixing spoon. Taste test and adjust the amount of spices as desired.
- Bring the creamy sauce to a gentle simmer and add the drained broccoli and ready pasta while mixing very gently with the a large mixing spoon.
- You can use any whole grain pasta of choice.
- We enjoy almond, flax seed, or coconut milk the most for this dish.
- We prefer this dish very pungent with garlic. Adjust adjust the amount of garlic to your taste.